Solving T470p jack not working problem on Debian GNU/Linux Bullseye

Some days ago I started to have problems when I connect my headphones to my jack port, after reading some forums about this issue and make some fail tests I could find a procedure which works in my case, these are the instructions I followed.

First of all let’s get some information about our audio controller:

$ lspci | grep Audio
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation CM238 HD Audio Controller (rev 31)

$ grep Codec /proc/asound/card0/code*
/proc/asound/card0/codec#0:Codec: Realtek ALC298
/proc/asound/card0/codec#2:Codec: Intel Kabylake HDMI

#lspci -vvvv | grep -A 10 -i audio
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation CM238 HD Audio Controller (rev 31)
	Subsystem: Lenovo CM238 HD Audio Controller
	Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Latency: 64
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 142
	Region 0: Memory at f2340000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Region 4: Memory at f2330000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
	Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
		Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=55mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
		Status: D0 NoSoftRst+ PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
	Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC298 Analog [ALC298 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

With this information I restart sound Intel module following these commands and my headphones work again:

# kill $(lsof -t /dev/snd/*)
# modprobe -r snd_hda_intel
# modprobe snd-hda-intel model=intel-alc298
$ pulseaudio --start
$ speaker-test

I’ve created an alsa-base.conf file to prevent this problem in the next boot

# cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf 
options snd-hda-intel model=intel-alc298

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.

— Edgar Allan Poe

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s